The Governance, Strategic Planning and Consultation (GSPC) Project represents a vital investment in ensuring a solid foundation on which the organization’s activities will be built. An effective governance, strategic planning, and stakeholder consultation process will ensure that Engineers Canada is undertaking the right activities, building the trust of its stakeholders, and achieving the results that its member regulators expect.
The work was launched in March 2017 and will continue until 2019. It consists of four work packages being conducted simultaneously over the life of the project:
- Updates to the governance model
- Development of a sustainable planning process
- Development of an effective process for ongoing consultation with Regulators, the CEO Group and other key stakeholders
- Operationalizing the consultation and strategic planning processes with Engineers Canada staff
Spring 2018 Consultations on Strategic Planning
Between March 12 and April 27, Engineers Canada will be consulting with regulators on the fundamental elements and desired outcomes of a 2019-2021 strategic plan. As the document that links the Purposes of Engineers Canada to annual operating plans, the strategic plan will be the key document to define and constrain all activities over the 2019-2021 period.
The intent is that by May 11, 2018 a plan is prepared that fully reflects the will of the regulators, and that contains no surprises. That plan will be recommended to the members at the May Board meeting, and approved at the Annual Meeting of the Members the next day. At the June Board retreat, the Board will meet with the Engineers Canada CEO and chairs of the AB and the QB to begin the process of writing operational plans.
Fall 2017 Consultations
On December 1, 2017, the project concluded its first round of consultations with regulators. The main topics of the consultations included:
- The Guiding Principles for governance
- The Purpose of Engineers Canada
- The Purpose of the Board of Engineers Canada
- Structure of the Board of Engineers Canada
- Number of Directors on the Engineers Canada Board
On December 15, 2017, a webinar was held to share the outcomes from those consultations. Based on the findings, the Executive Committee is working on the development of the 2019-2021 Strategic Plan.
For those who could not participate in the consultation outcomes webinar, a recording is available below.