We are seeking stakeholder feedback on recommendations 1 and 2 of the 2018 AU Task Force Report. The objectives of the consultation are to:
- Inform stakeholders of an alternative curriculum measurement methodology being considered.
- Solicit stakeholder reaction to the report recommendations.
- Synthesize stakeholder feedback with the objective of putting forward a list of recommendations for implementation.
- Identify barriers to change if the report recommendations are adopted.
- Develop a reasonable implementation plan that accommodates the diverse nature of stakeholders.
We will be consulting with stakeholders between March 21, 2018 and June 3, 2018. During the consultations, we will be asking stakeholders the following 5 questions:
- Does the definition of the “Learning Unit” offer sufficient flexibility to measure curriculum content that is not actual contact time between student and faculty members?
- Does the definition of the “Learning Unit” compromise the quality of the engineering degree?
- Do the recommendations affect your level of confidence in the established accreditation process?
- Is the Learning Unit as equal to 2.5 hours of learning time appropriate?
- If we were to implement these recommendations today, what are the unintended consequences? That is, if something could go wrong, what would it be?
Document for consultation
Stakeholders being consulted include:
- boards of examiners
- academic review committees
- admissions officials
- Higher education institutions
- National Council of Deans of Engineering and Applied Science (NCDEAS)
- Deans' Liaison Committee (DLC)
- Canadian Federation of Engineering Students (CFES)
- Engineers Canada
- Accreditation Board
- Qualifications Board
- Executive committee of the Board
The consultation period will begin with introductory webinars on April 5 (offered in English) and April 16 (offered in French). These will be recorded for future viewing. The webinars will provide an overview of the process followed by the AU Task Force to:
- develop their report,
- highlight the recommendations contained within the report; and
- define the ways by which we will consult each stakeholder group
Read the AU Task Force introduction to the consultation presentation offered April 5, 2018.
The CEAB secretariat will be scheduling meetings with groups of stakeholders to collect their feedback during the consultation period.
Stakeholders are also invited to also provide a written response which should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
AU Task Force
c/o Mya Warken
300-55 Metcalfe Street
Ottawa, ON K1P 6L5
Written responses must be received by May 30, 2018.
After the consultation closing date, the AU Task Force will carefully review the feedback received and a summary of the findings will be posted.