The Award of Journalism Excellence in Engineering recognizes outstanding Canadian journalists who execute fact -based reporting on Canadian engineering issues in a timely fashion.
The nominee must meet the following requirements:
- Be a journalist based in Canada (Canada-based is defined by the location of the employer).
- Have submitted a news story (print, web-based, link to video or audio) to showcase how they wrote on engineering or on an engineer using facts, in a timely fashion, presenting a balanced perspective on the issues.
- Stories presented in either of Canada’s official languages will be accepted.
- Have not previously received this award.
- Staff writers (or writer contractors) hired by an engineering regulatory body are not eligible for this award.
- Nominations of journalists who have shared by-lines will be considered but only the journalist receiving top-billing will receive the award.
- In October, Engineers Canada posts the call for nominations for its awards on its websites and sends the information to other potentially interested parties.
- Self-nominations will be accepted.
- All nominations will be reviewed by the Awards Committee of Engineers Canada.
- Nominations can be submitted in either English or French and Engineers Canada will arrange for translation as required.
- There is no limit to the number of nominations that can be submitted.
- Engineers Canada reserves the right to cancel, withdraw or amend any award and/or scholarship without prior notice.
Nominees will be rated as follows:
Degree of difficulty (20 points):
- Complexity of the subject matter and the ability to make it understandable to the general public.
Accuracy and sources (50 points):
- What were the sources and resources used by the journalist to gain the engineering perspective.
Writing quality (30 points):
- Storytelling and impact on the public. Describe how your article influenced your audiences’ views or opinions on the subject matter.
- Recipients will be selected by the Awards Committee of Engineers Canada.
- The Awards Committee has the authority, after reviewing all nominations for the various awards, to determine whether or not an award will be given.
- Recipients will be notified in writing.
- The Award for Journalism Excellence in Engineering will be presented during the Awards Gala held each year in conjunction with Engineers Canada’s Spring Meetings and Annual Meeting of Members in late May 2019.
- Award recipients agree to standard publicity notification arranged by Engineers Canada.
How to Apply