May 21, 2015, Calgary, Alberta – Canada’s engineering profession honoured the accomplishments of remarkable engineers during the Engineers Canada Awards Gala at the Hotel Arts. Sponsored by TD, Manulife, ENCON and the Great-West Life Assurance Company, the Awards highlight engineering excellence and contributions to the engineering profession, community, and the safety and well-being of Canadians.
The Gold Medal Award is the profession’s highest honour, presented for achievement and distinction in engineering. This year’s recipient is Karel Velan, ing. One of the most ingenious and innovative leaders in the field of industrial valve design and manufacturing, Mr. Velan designed the first universal steam trap and has 12 patents in the area of industrial valves and traps. The Velan Inc. family business is a public company which now oversees 17 manufacturing plants globally with over 2,000 employees.
“Karel Velan is an entrepreneur with a special talent for invention and promotion,” said Engineers Canada President Paul Amyotte. “A scientist with deeply held philanthropic values, Mr. Velan considers himself first and foremost an engineer. We are proud to honour Mr. Velan and all the 2015 award recipients who demonstrate leadership and ingenuity in their respective fields and in the profession.”
The 2015 Engineers Canada Award recipients are:
- Samantha Espley, M.A.Sc., P.Eng. (PEO) – Award for the Support of Women in the Engineering Profession
- Jonathan Kay – Award of Journalism Excellence in Engineering
- Suresh Neethirajan, P.Eng. (PEO) – Young Engineer Achievement Award
- Jonathan Rose, P.Eng. (PEO) – Medal for Distinction in Engineering Education
- Mark Bellamy, FEC, P.Eng., (APEGA) – Meritorious Service Award for Community Service
- Conrad LeLièvre, FEC, P.Eng. (Engineers Nova Scotia) – Meritorious Service Award for Professional Service
- Port Mann/Highway 1 Improvement Project Onshore Design Project. Principal Engineer: Chris Mealing, P.Eng. (APEGBC) – National Award for an Engineering Project or Achievement
- Connor Scheu (APEGA student member) – Gold Medal Student Award
- Karel Velan, ing. (OIQ) – Gold Medal Award
- 30 -
Engineers Canada is the national organization of the 12 engineering regulators that license the country's 280,000 members of the profession. Together, we work to advance the profession in the public interest.
For more information:
William Meyer, Practice Lead, Communications
613-232-2474, ext. 249