Engineers Canada develops and maintains examination syllabi, which are used by regulators as a guideline to assess academic qualifications for licensing purposes.
Examination syllabi represent an expert determination of the academic knowledge required to practice a particular discipline of engineering in Canada. Syllabi are divided in three categories:
- Basic studies: foundational math and science topics, common to most disciplines;
- Complementary studies: safety, economics, sustainability and engineering management topics; and
- Discipline-specific studies: divided by:
- Group A (core areas of knowledge)
- Group B (selected advanced areas of knowledge)
The following list provides examination syllabi by discipline along with associated textbook.
More recent syllabi include textbooks under each exam within the document. This new method is implemented as syllabi are reviewed and updated.
What resources are available to me to prepare for exams?
The engineering regulatory body in your area will discuss available resources when they assign your exam(s).
Engineers Canada also provides a list of textbooks and other references for most syllabi. See what’s available to you in the table below.engineering regulator