Engineers Canada logo

Mobility across Canada

Engineers require a licence in each province or territory where they intend to practise.

The Agreement on Internal Trade provides that engineers licensed in one province or territory, are entitled to a license to practice engineering in other provinces or territories. This is important for career movement and to ensure that engineering skills and knowledge are available throughout the country.

Engineering Regulators

Engineering regulators are responsible for licensing engineers in each provincial and territory. This applies to engineering graduates, internationally trained engineers applying for a licence in Canada for the first time, and to engineers licensed in one province or territory that wish to apply for a licence in another province or territory.

In light of the intent behind the federal government’s Agreement on Internal Trade to reduce and eliminate, to the extent possible, barriers to free movement of persons and services within Canada, many regulatory bodies have streamlined the process to apply for a licence in a second province or territory.

What to Expect

The regulator will require an application for licensure and payment of a fee. Most also require an outline of professional experience (resume), and an affirmation of good character (references).

The regulator will contact the regulatory body where the engineer is currently licensed to verify good standing as a licensed engineer.

Some regulators require more specific documentation. It is best to consult with the regulatory body to confirm any other requirements.


Agreement on Internal Trade
Engineering Regulators

For more information

For more information contact Kyle Smith, Manager, Assessments at