The Meritorious Service Award for Professional Service recognizes outstanding service and dedication to the Canadian engineering profession through Canadian professional, consulting, or technical associations and societies, and to enhance the role of the associations and societies in the career of the professional engineer.
The award recipient is selected by the engineering regulator hosting the year’s Engineers Canada Annual Meeting of Members. In 2021, the recipient will be selected from Nova Scotia.
Applications for this award are currently closed and will open again in the fall.
Recipients must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- Be registered in good standing as an engineer (P.Eng., or ing.) with the engineering regulator hosting the upcoming Engineers Canada Annual Meeting of Members.
- Have not previously received this award.
- Engineers Canada’s Board directors, staff of Engineers Canada, and CEOs of Canadian engineering regulators are not eligible until four years have passed between the last day of their term of office or employment and the nomination deadline.
Recipients for this award demonstrate:
Service to the profession
- Exemplary service to the profession through active and impactful participation in engineering associations, societies, institutes, and other professional bodies.
- Significant contribution to the advancement of the profession through activities that address challenges within the profession and/or inspire and mentor the next generation of engineers.
- Success in advancing Canadians’ understanding of the role of engineering and professional engineers in society.
- Excellence in engineering practice, the teaching of engineering, or the undertaking of engineering research.
- Significant positive impact in the lives of Canadians or others through their engineering activities.
- Exemplary leadership as an engineer.
Service to the community
- Active and impactful participation in the community through volunteerism in non-engineering roles. This may include: volunteer roles with non-profit and charitable organizations; participation in voluntary commissions, boards, or task forces; government administration; or other contributions that benefit their community.
- The Meritorious Service Award for Professional Service recipient is presented with their award and certificate during the annual Engineers Canada Awards Gala, held each year in conjunction with Engineers Canada’s Spring Meetings and Annual Meeting of Members. The event typically takes place in late May.
- Recipients of the Gold Medal Award are admitted as a Fellow of Engineers Canada (FEC).
- Award recipients participate in promotional activities arranged by Engineers Canada.
How to apply
Recipients for this award are selected by the host engineering regulator in conjunction with Engineers Canada.