The Meritorious Service Award for Professional Service recognizes outstanding service and dedication to the Canadian engineering profession through Canadian professional, consulting or technical associations and societies, and to enhance the role of the associations and societies in the career of the professional engineer.
The nominee must meet the following requirements:
- Be registered in good standing as an engineer (P.Eng., or ing.) in any province or territory in Canada. Links to the websites of the 12 engineering regulatory bodies can be found here.
- Have carried out major achievements in Canada or on behalf of Canada.
- Have not previously received this award.
- Members of Engineers Canada’s Board and ex-staff members of Engineers Canada are not considered eligible for an award until a period of at least four years has elapsed from the completion date of their term of office.
- Individual or joint nominations will be considered for this award provided that the nominees have met all of the above criteria.
- In October, Engineers Canada forwards the call for nominations to the provincial and territorial engineering regulatory bodies that regulate the practice of engineering, as well as to other potentially interested parties.
- Self-nominations will be accepted.
- All nominations will be reviewed by the Awards Committee of Engineers Canada.
- Nominations can be submitted in either English or French and Engineers Canada will arrange for translation as required.
- There is no limit to the number of nominations that can be submitted.
- Engineers Canada reserves the right to cancel, withdraw or amend any award and/or scholarship without prior notice.
Consideration will be given to continued leadership in the profession and in the community, to outstanding achievements, and to recognition obtained. Nominees will be rated as follows:
Work-related achievements (20 points):
- Engineering excellence, and recognition of achievements within the profession, business or industry, or the education sector that has set a benchmark for engineers to strive for.
Service to the profession (60 points):
- Public education and understanding of the role of engineering and professional engineers in Canadian society.
- Active participation in engineering associations, societies, institutes, etc.
Service to the community (20 points):
- Active participation in commissions, voluntary organizations, community organizations, and other paid and/or unpaid work beyond the profession.
- Recipients will be selected by the Awards Committee of Engineers Canada.
- The Awards Committee has the authority, after reviewing all nominations for the various awards, to determine whether or not an award will be given.
- Recipients will be notified in writing.
- The Meritorious Service Award for Professional Service will be presented during the Awards Gala held each year in conjunction with Engineers Canada’s Spring Meetings and Annual Meeting of Members in late May 2019.
- Award recipients agree to standard publicity notification arranged by Engineers Canada
How to Apply
Nominations are now closed. Please check back in September.