The Manulife Scholarship program offers three scholarships of $12,500 each annually to provide financial assistance to engineers returning to university for further study or research in an engineering field. Candidates must be accepted or registered full time in a Faculty of Engineering.
Applicants may only apply in one scholarship category per year.
There will be no geographical allocation of the scholarships.
To be eligible for the scholarships program, candidates must be registered as an engineer (P.Eng./ing.) in good standing with one of the 12 regulators throughout the duration of their academic year.
- Candidates must be accepted or registered for a minimum of two full-time semesters between September 2021 and August 2022.
- Selection of the scholarship recipients will be based only on the information provided on the application.
- No restrictions will be placed on scholarship recipients holding other grants or awards or receiving assistance or income from other sources.
- It should be noted that no individual is eligible to hold two scholarships from Engineers Canada within a competition year.
The scholarships are attributed on the basis of (not necessarily placed in order of importance):
- academic achievements (15 points)
- area of studies (30 points)
- work experience (25 points)
- potential and motivation (30 points)
Candidates must show how the degree undertaken fulfills the stated purpose of the scholarship.
- The scholarship is tenable for the entire (full-time) academic year following receipt of the scholarship in October 2021.
- The university or institution you selected can be located in Canada or abroad.
You are eligible to apply for this scholarship if:
- You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada;
- You are registered as an engineer (P.Eng) / ingénieur (ing.) in good standing with one of the 12 regulators.
You are NOT eligible to apply for these scholarships if:
- You are an engineer-in-training or a junior engineer at l’Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec;
- You are a post-doctoral fellow;
- You have previously won the scholarship in the Manulife category.
Administration of the program:
- The scholarship program is administered by Engineers Canada through its Awards Committee.
How to apply:
- You are encouraged to read the general information carefully, as only complete applications will be considered.
- Applications can be submitted in either English or French and Engineers Canada will arrange for translation as required.
- Submit only the required documents.
- All questions must be clearly answered in the space provided on the webform.
- Submit the webform with all required documents no later than March 31, 2021.
- Applications received after March 31, 2021 will not be considered.
- Click the link at the bottom of this page to submit the webform.
The following information must be included in your form:
- An outline of your five (5) most relevant engineering positions and describe the nature of the work (100 words or less for each position held).
- A description of your research project (350 words or less).
- A description of the intended impact and benefit of this work (350 words or less).
- A description on how your experience will contribute to the success of this work (350 words or less).
- An outline of your general interests and activities (350 words or less).
- Electronic copies of your transcripts of all your academic records (completed or in process of completion).
- Two letters of support (PDF or Word).
Application deadline: March 31, 2021
- The completed application form and your supporting documentation must be submitted on or before March 31, 2021.
- All applicants will receive an email acknowledgement.
- The Awards Committee insists upon strict adherence to all requirements.
- The Awards Committee usually meets in late May to make their selections.
All applicants, successful or otherwise, will receive written notification of the Awards Committee’s decisions by mid July.
If you are successful....
- Details of your scholarship will be outlined in the notification letter.
- The awarding and payment of the scholarship is subject to receipt of written confirmation of enrollment from the university where you are attending or will be attending.
- You will be invited to attend the scholarship reception in Ottawa to accept your scholarship certificate.