- 1. Set up a free Zoom account
- 2. Add your photo
- 3. Update to the most recent version of Zoom
- 4. Set your background
- 1. Set your display name
- 2. Become familiar with the control panel
- 3. Ensure your audio is working
- 4. Know how to raise your hand
- 5. Know how to vote
By creating a free Zoom account you'll have much more flexibility to set your personal preferences. You can create an account for free by visiting https://zoom.us/signup
Personalize your thumbnail used during the meeting by uploading a photo. To change your photo:
- Log into Zoom
- In your profile, select "change" beneath the user image.
- Upload your photo, make any adjustments needed, and select "save"
To successfully use all the features available in the meeting, please ensure you're using the most recent version of Zoom. To update Zoom, follow the instructions in this Zoom tutorial, or watch the video below.
You can change your Zoom background from the Zoom desktop client.
Click the gear icon in the top right corner.
Then, select "Virtual background" from the list of options on the left. You may use one of the default backgrounds provided by Zoom, or upload your own.
For more information on setting your virtual background, see this Zoom tutorial.
You can update your display name during the meeting. Right click on your name. Select "More", then "Rename".
The attendee controls appear at the bottom of your screen.
Here you can:
Mute / Unmute: Turn your microphone on and or off. Click the ^ arrow next to the Mute / Unmute to change the microphone and speaker that Zoom is currently using on your computer, leave computer audio, and access the full audio settings.
Start Video / Stop Video: Turns your camera on or off. Click the ^ arrow next to Start Video / Stop Video to change cameras if you have multiple cameras, select a virtual background (if enabled), or access your full video settings.
Participants: See who's currently in the meeting and access the raise hand function. You can also access controls to change your display name.
Chat: Access the chat window to chat with the organizers and participants.
Leave: Leave the meeting while it continues for the other participants. Only an organizer can end a meeting.
If you are having trouble hearing the meeting, you can join via telephone while remaining on the video conference.
- On your phone, dial the teleconferencing number provided in your invitation.
- Enter the Meeting ID number (also provided in your invitation) when prompted using the keys on your touch-tone keypad.
- If you have already joined the meeting via computer, you will have the option to enter your 2-digit participant ID to be associated with your computer.
To raise your hand in the meeting, open the Participants window from the control panel:
At the bottom of the Participants window are several options, with "raise hand" as the first option on the left:
If you are eligible to vote, you can do so by opening the Participants window from the control panel:
When called on to vote, you can use the "yes" and "no" option to cast your vote: